After discussing on my blog the other day about making a shrine on a budget I contemplated it further. It occurred to me that there are a few ways to create a mini shrine with even the most mundane of objects, and as I stared at the last of my gluten-free cookies the idea popped into my head. This is what resulted.
What You’ll Need:
-box, 8 1/2 inches
-additional cardstock as needed
-handle for drawer (in this case I used a button)
1. Take the box and cut off any tabs. Don’t discard the tabs as they will be used later. I used a box that once held some very bland cookies for this project.
2. Mark on the box the halfway point all around the box. Cut along the mark.
3. To make the place which will house the image of the god (in Kemetic beliefs this is called the “naos”) measure the dimensions of the box of the shortest face. Take one half of the box and mark these dimensions along the widest face. Cut. Don’t discard the cuttings as this will be used later.
4. Cut along the center and across the top edge. Glue the top flaps as necessary. This will result in two doors.
5. Take the other half of the box and mark at roughly 3 inches. Trim the excess and save for later.
6. Gather all the box scraps. Measure the dimensions of the box half without doors. Cut out the cardstock and box scraps for size. TIP: Make it slightly smaller than the dimensions so it will fit with ease.
7. Glue the back piece to the main cardstock. If you need to fold a little portion of the edge to get the pieces to connect it’s OK.
8. Glue the side pieces to the main cardstock. If you need to fold a little portion of the edge to get the pieces to connect it’s OK. TIP: If you have clips or clothespins to hold the corners in place this will help keep it together too.
9. Decorate the drawer as you wish. This makes it easier to glue the front of the drawer.
10. Take the front of the drawer and decorate it. If covering with paper leave some room to glue it to the rest of the drawer.
11. Mark the center. This is where the handle will go.
12. Poke a hole. Insert handle and fasten it.
13. Decorate the other shrine components.
14. Apply glue to the back edge of the “chest”. Apply to the back of the bottom half of the naos. Let dry.
15. Insert the drawer. Now you have a mini shrine!