Upholding Ma'at

Journeying through the modern world with ancient ways.


Leave a comment

Craft Friday: Djed Pillar Scene

In case I haven’t drilled it into my readers’ heads, I really love making craft projects for Kha-her-Ka.  This is a piece I’ve had for a few years, so unfortunately there’s no tutorial for it.  I did, however, pour out more decoupage glue / sealant than I intended, so I tried to use it where I could.

The actual stand is just a one-a-day calendar stand that I modified. I drew Aset and Nebet-het in a position that adores the djed pillar.  I think colored it with acrylic paint and ink.  Sadly, even after all these years the sealant made the ink bleed.

I used the binding as the platform for the djed pillar by cutting it off with a sharp knife, glued cardstock on both sides, then glued it to the parts that originally held the calendar dates.

The newest addition to the display was the border.  I took some papyrus scraps from another project and some ribbon I use to scrapbook.  First I glued down the papyrus scraps over the edges.  I let the papyrus dry before gluing the ribbon pieces down.  After that dried I trimmed to fit and applied the sealant.

In case you were wondering, I didn’t forget the corners.

 

The djed pillar, while a little worn, is actually a piece I’m most proud of.  I keep getting  junk mail for credit card offers so I used this project to vent my frustration via paper-mache.  Yes, I’m fully aware it’s wholly inaccurate.

 

I placed the pillar upright for the purpose of photographing, but I don’t place it upright until the last day of Kha-her-Ka.

Advertisements


Leave a comment

Craft Friday: Djed Pillar Card

I meant to have another tutorial up for today, but time got away from me and it isn’t ready.  Instead I’m going to show a very blurry card I made based off an idea to use paint chip samples I found on pinterest.

 

I’m not showing a step-by-step because all I did was glue some papyrus onto a card (I glued it down and cut around it.  And, yes, I do have papyrus lying around), cut out the shapes from the paint chips, and then glued them on to the papyrus.  After it dried I dipped a q-tip into some gold acrylic paint and rubbed it along the yellow parts of the pillar, which didn’t show up in the photo.  It’s pretty simple and just in time for Kha-Her-Ka.